Research Engineer at Galois with experience in artificial intelligence, knowledge representation, functional programming, domain specific programming language design, computational linguistics, music, and creative computation.
- MUSICA, contributor, 2016-2021. A system for interactive improvisation and musical communication funded by the Communicating with Computers DARPA program.
- Euterpea, contributor and maintainer, fall 2009 – present. A library for music representation, algorithmic composition, and sound synthesis in Haskell.
- Kulitta, creator and maintainer, spring 2009 – present. A framework for algorithmic and automated composition.
- Research Engineer at Galois, June 2023 – present
- Indendent consultant in AI, ML, and Music, May 2021 – May 2023
- Research Assistant Professor / Senior Research Scientist, Stevens Institute of Technology, June 2017 – April 2021
- Visiting Professor, Southern Methodist University, August 2016 – May 2017
- Researcher, University of Arizona, June 2016 – August 2016.
- Lecturer, Yale University Department of Computer Science, November 2014 – May 2016.
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Yale University Department of Computer Science, September 2014 – October 2014.
- Software development for Geotech Instruments, 2007.
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, Yale University, December 2014.
- M.Phil. in Computer Science, Yale University, December 2011.
- M.S. in Computer Science, Yale University, December 2011.
- M.S. in Computer Science, Southern Methodist University, July 2008.
- B.S. in Computer Science and Environmental Science, Southern Methodist University, May 2008. Graduated summa cum laude.
- A.A. in Science, Lord Fairfax Community College, May 2005.
- Honor societies:
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Phi Theta Kappa
- Paleo Origami: Dinosaurs, Pterosaurs, and More. Donya Quick, 2021.
- An Origami Farm. Donya Quick, 2020.
- The Haskell School of Music: from Signals to Symphonies. Paul Hudak and Donya Quick. Cambridge University Press, 2018.
Articles and Conference Papers
- MUSICA: MUSical Interactive Collaborative Agent. Donya Quick, Chris Kim, and David Burke. 2021 Conference on AI and Music Creativity.
- Jazzy Beach Critters: a Demonstration of Real-Time Music Generation with Application to Games. Donya Quick and Christopher N. Burrows. 2021 AISB Symposium on Computational Creativity.
- A Functional Model of Jazz Improvisation (Slides: PPTX | PDF). Donya Quick and Kelland Thomas. 2019 ACM Workshop on Functional Art, Music, Modeling and Design at ICFP.
- Evaluating Natural Language for Musical Operations. Donya Quick and Christopher N. Burrows. Proceedings of the International Computer Music Conference, 2019.
- Composition by Conversation. Donya Quick and Clayton T. Morrison. Proceedings of the International Computer Music Conference, 2017.
- Recursive Generation of Rhythmic Structures with PTGGs. Brian Heim and Donya Quick. Proceedings of the International Computer Music Conference, 2017.
- Learning Production Probabilities for Musical Grammars. Donya Quick. Journal of New Music Research, 2016.
- Composing with Kulitta. Donya Quick. Proceedings of the International Computer Music Conference, 2015.
- Media Modules: Intermedia Systems in a Pure Functional Paradigm. Mark Santolucito, Donya Quick, and Paul Hudak. Proceedings of the International Computer Music Conference, 2015.
- Real-Time Interactive Music in Haskell. Paul Hudak, Donya Quick, Mark Santolucito, and Daniel Winograd-Cort. 2015 Workshop on Functional Art, Music, Modeling, and Design.
- Kulitta: a Framework for Automated Composition. Doctoral Thesis at Yale University. August, 2014.
- Grammar-Based Automated Music Composition in Haskell (Slides). Donya Quick and Paul Hudak. 2013 ACM Workshop on Functional Art, Music, Modeling and Design at ICFP.
- A Temporal Generative Graph Grammar for Harmonic and Metrical Structure. Donya Quick and Paul Hudak. Proceedings of the International Computer Music Conference, 2013.
- Computing with Chord Spaces. Donya Quick and Paul Hudak. International Computer Music Conference, 2012. Supporting implementation.
- Generating Music Using Concepts from Schenkerian Analysis and Chord Spaces. Donya Quick. Yale Technical Report, 2010.
- Masters thesis: Applications and Parameter Analysis of Temporal Chaos Game Representation. Southern Methodist University, 2008.
- TCGR: A Novel DNA/RNA Visualization Technique. Donya Quick and Margaret H. Dunham. Extended abstract, NGDM 2007.
- Visualization of DNA/RNA Structure using Temporal CGRs. Margaret H. Dunham, Donya Quick, Yuhang Wang, Monnie McGee, and Jim Waddle. IEEE BIBE 2006.
- Empirical Evaluation of Kulitta. Donya Quick and Christopher Burrows. Northeast Music Cognition Group, 2015.
- Empirical Assessment of Automated Composition Algorithms. Donya Quick and Christopher Burrows. Proceedings of the 54th Annual Meeting of the New England Psychological Association, October 2014.
Talks & Demos
- Making Algorithmic Music with Euterpea. Donya Quick. Keynote at Compose NYC 2019.
- Pattern-Based Algorithmic Music with Euterpea. Donya Quick. Demo given at the 2018 ACM Workshop on Functional Art, Music, Modeling and Design at ICFP.
- Algorithmic Music in Haskell. Donya Quick. Invited talk given at the 2017 Haskell Symposium at ICFP.
Music Composition Performances, Concerts, and Commissions
- Lightning Bug, algorithmic composition using Euterpea with reactive visuals created in Processing. Shown at the FARM Performance Evening at ICFP 2020.
- HAILO, interactive system for guitar and generative AI. To be performed by Mario Diaz De Leon at Electronic Music Midwest in September 2019.
- Ugly Purse Dog, interactive jazz improvisation system implemented in Python with visuals created in Processing. Performed at the 2019 FARM Performance Evening at ICFP in Berlin.
- Dot Matrix, algorithmic composition using Euterpea and Kulitta with visuals created in Processing. Shown at the 2018 FARM Performance Evening and forthcoming performance at Electronic Music Widwest 2018.
- Tandava, algorithmic composition using Kulitta performed at Electronic Music Midwest, 2017.
- Vesicularia, algorithmic composition performed at Electronic Music Midwest, October 2016.
- Paul Hudak Symposium Listening Room, April 2016. Concert organization and presentation of multiple original and algorithmic compositions using Euterpea and Kulitta.
- Algorithmic music commission, January 2016. Using Kulitta to produce performable piano compositions for Gartner.
- Euterpea Studio Concert, November 2015. Concert organization and presentation of an algorithmic composition using Kulitta.
- Functional Creative Coding (spring 2017, SMU). Functional paradigms explored through musical applications using Haskell programming language and Euterpea library.
- Sound and Code (spring 2017, SMU). Creating virtual instruments and signal processing programs with Pure Data.
- AI and Creative Composition (fall 2016, SMU). Advanced course examining AI in creative fields, with a focus on automated music generation.
- Creative Coding I (fall 2016 and spring 2017, SMU). Introduction to programming using Processing and Java.
- Computer Music: Sound Representation and Synthesis (spring 2016). Advanced computer music course focused on low-level issues of representing sound and programming with streams. Software used: Haskell and Euterpea.
- Programming Musical Applications (fall 2015, Yale). Introductory course exploring the basics of programming and computer science with music as an area of application. Software used: JythonMusic.
- Computer Music: Algorithmic and Heuristic Composition, (spring 2015). Advanced computer music course focused on programming language representation for score-level musical features and algorithms for producing novel musical works. Software used: Haskell and Euterpea.
Teaching Assistant Experience (Yale University): Object-Oriented Programming, Parallel Programming Techniques, Computer Music, Machine Learning, Cryptography and Computer Security, and Advanced Artificial Intelligence.
- Currently developing with: Haskell, Python, Processing, and Java.
- Recent past development with: C# and Pure Data.
- Prior experience with: C++, C, SQL/MySQL, PHP, ML, Verilog, Assembly.
- Music and audio-visual work. I compose and work with a variety of acoustic and electronic instruments. Much of my work is available on SoundCloud and my audio-visual work is on my YouTube channel.
- Origami and other forms of art. I recently published two origami books. My older artwork and some of my older (and a few newer) origami diagrams are hosted on Deviantart.
- 3D modeling and printing. My 3D-printable sculpts are available on My Mini Factory.
- Marine reef aquariums, hermit crabs, snails, and propagation of soft corals and sea anemones.