I have been involved with music for as long as I can remember. I primarily play piano and guitars (classical, electric, and more recently bass and hollow body electric), but have also played violin and recorder in the past. However, I have always preferred composing to performing. Most of my recent compositions are a mix of various electronic styles and jazz, although I have written more cinematic, orchestral compositions in the past.
Visualizations on Youtube:
Playlists on SoundCloud:
- Original compositions (non-algorithmic)
- Algorithmic compositions
- Compositions made with Euterpea
- Compositions made with Kulitta
- Sound manipulation work from August 2016.
- Work from March 2016 using a digital piano and granular synthesis.
- Work from 2013 with digital synthesizers.
- Work from 2014 using the Euterpea studio.
The piece above was created by recording a harmonium using the Euterpea Studio. The harmonium was used as an example for computer music students to see some factors involved in turning physical instruments into virtual ones, although most of the harmonium in the composition above is the actual harmonium rather than its virtual version. Pictures of the recording setup:
Where to Hear More of My Music
Compositions Using Euterpea and Kulitta – Compositions I’ve done using Euterpea and Kulitta in various ways.
My Newer Music on SoundCloud – All of my recent work is on SoundCloud, including both my own compositions and compositions created by Kulitta.
My Older Music on SoundClick – Most of my older compositions are on SoundClick instead of SoundCloud, although some appear in both places.
My Composing Rig
This is my current stationary composing rig:
- Desktop specs: Intel i7 CPU, 8GB memory, Windows 10
- Software: Cakewalk Sonar X1/X2 and the VSTs it comes bundled with (Dimension LE, DropZone, etc.) in addition to some others, SFZ+, MuseScore (for rendering scores as pdfs), and Audacity.
- Audio & MIDI interfaces: M-Audio/Avid Fast Track C400, MOTU Microbook II, MOTU Fastlane.
- MIDI controllers: QuNexus, Korg Nano Series 2 controllers (NanKey2, NanoPad2, and NanoKontrol2).
- Analog synthesizers: Korg monotrons (duo and delay) and Volca series analog synthesizers.
- Microphones: Tascam DR05, MXL 990, and Blue Yeti Pro.
- Various other instruments: Alesis QS8 keyboard, guitars, a theremin, etc.
For demos and performances or mobile composing when traveling with a laptop I use:
- Laptop specs: Intel i7 CPU, 12GB memory, Windows 10
- Audio & MIDI interfaces: Korg DS-DAC-100M for DAW usage. For recording and MIDI: MOTU Microbook II and MOTU Fastlane.
- Controllers: QuNexus and/or Korg NanoKey2.
- Software: SFZ+ and Coolsoft Virtual MIDI Synth for realtime demos, Cakewalk Sonar X3 and Audacity for recording/composing.