I have been involved with music for as long as I can remember. I primarily play piano and guitars (classical, electric, and more recently bass and hollow body electric), but have also played violin and recorder in the past. However, I have always preferred composing to performing. Most of my recent compositions are a mix of various electronic styles and jazz, although I have written more cinematic, orchestral compositions in the past.
I recently started a bandcamp page for CD-quality work and albums. The things I put here are better adjusted and better quality than the versions I have on SoundCloud.
Most of my newer work is on SoundCloud in MP3 format. This includes everything Kulitta-related. Here are some playlists:
- Original compositions (non-algorithmic)
- Algorithmic compositions
- Compositions made with Euterpea
- Compositions made with Kulitta
- Phosphor: work with digital synths and piano using a ROLI Seaboard Block.
- Wavelet: work with digital synths and piano using a ROLI Seaboard Block.
- Work from 2017 with synthesizers.
- Work from 2013 with digital synthesizers.
- Work from 2014 using the Euterpea studio.
The piece above was created by recording a harmonium using the Euterpea Studio. The harmonium was used as an example for computer music students to see some factors involved in turning physical instruments into virtual ones, although most of the harmonium in the composition above is the actual harmonium rather than its virtual version. Pictures of the recording setup:
Where to Hear More of My Music
Compositions Using Euterpea and Kulitta – Compositions I’ve done using Euterpea and Kulitta in various ways.
My Newer Music on SoundCloud – All of my recent work is on SoundCloud, including both my own compositions and compositions created by Kulitta.
My Older Music on SoundClick – Most of my older compositions are on SoundClick instead of SoundCloud, although some appear in both places.
My Composing Rig
This is my current composing rig:
- Desktop specs: Intel i7 quad core CPU, 16GB memory, Windows 10
- Laptop (for composing on the go): Surface pro 4 and occasionally a MacBook Pro
- DAW & recording software: REAPER and Audacity.
- Synthesizers: Kontakt, Izotope Iris2, Absynth, and less frequently some others. For real-time demos, I typically use Kontakt and Coolsot VirtualMidiSynth (or SimpleSynth if on Mac).
- Audio & MIDI interfaces: MOTU Microbook II, Korg DS Dac100M, MOTU Fastlane.
- MIDI controllers: ROLI Seaboard Block, Korg Nano Series 2 controllers (mostly the NanKey).
- Analog synthesizers: Korg monotrons (duo and delay) and Volca series analog synthesizers.
- Microphones: Tascam DR05, MXL 990, and Blue Yeti Pro.
- Various other instruments: Alesis QS8 keyboard, guitars, a theremin, etc.